All of the Amber Band Expression Projects have been approved! Throughout the Exploration Phase of the Cloth Arc we explored the ways in which we’re all connected through cloth. We screen printed personal logos, drafted patterns to construct wearable shelter pieces, and experimented with the chemistry behind stains and dyes. Last week students shared the first iteration of their expression project.
I am making a 360˚ fight scene. This image is the movie poster for the film. The film won’t have planes and fire in it those are just to get people to watch the film. I’m making this film because I like making movies, and I’ve never made a 360˚ video. I’m going to make elaborate sci-fi costumes for the film. In my storyboard you can see each frame is four squares long to show the full 360˚.
My project is to create a digital loom. A digital loom is a set of buttons on a website that corresponds to the levers/heddles on a loom. When you click those buttons, it would make a different pattern.
For my project, I’m making a series of dresses from the 1920s to the 1960s. In the dresses, I’m trying to show what was happening at the time that they were designed. For example, in the 1920s, dresses were almost completely straight up and down. The reason for this was, in the 1800s women had to wear corsets and have an hourglass silhouette to be accepted as beautiful, and women wanted to show off that they could be beautiful without showing off their hips or curves.
But you can see that this completely changed as the Great Depression started because there were less resources, so you can see dresses get shorter and shorter and the dresses start to get more of a waist. Around the late ‘50s or the early ‘60s it became acceptable for women to wear pants.
For my project I’m making clothing that people want to wear to school. I interviewed a few people and asked them what they would want in school clothes. I got a lot of the same answers: comfortable and functional. I also got a request for a crop top so I took this information and came up with some designs. My final designs are a comfy sweater dress, a crop top and skirt, and some comfy pants with pockets and a basic shirt.
For my project, I’m trying to augment cloth with tensegrity structures (stable three-dimensional structures consisting of members under tension that are all contiguous, and members under compression that are all not), making it a viable building material.
The fatal flaw with the idea of cloth as a building material is that it has no compressive strength. Tensegrity structures could convert its tensile strength to compressive strength, eliminating this flaw.
This would allow the utilization of the good qualities of cloth as a building material, being cheap, light, and portable.
By augmenting cloth with tensegrity structures, it eliminates its fatal flaw as a building material.
A product that would test this ideas limits as well as highlight its good qualities would be a personal cloth tensegrity structure windmill for power generation in developing countries. I have set out to make just that.
I am making a loom and rayon fiber that i am going to weave with. I am using wood and a lot of chemicals for my project. This project is interesting to me because I think it will give me a great opportunity to go out of my comfort zone and use chemicals and big scary tools (shop tools), but I will also get to weave which is something I love doing.
I’m making a project on people switching outfits for a week. I’m making it because I want to work on camera skills, and I want to research something that is less commonly known like the style from people at my school.